37/52

Last week I attempted to get back into a bit of cooking.  Wasn't exactly the best idea trying to do bits and pieces in between naps, but we got there, kind of... I whipped up a batch of chocolate coconut balls which have been super popular with Dylan and hubby.  Anything chocolate seems to do well around here.  I also attempted my first batch of lactation cookies.  I based them off a recipe I found online, but didn't want to stick with the standard addition of choc chips, in case they became too tempting for everyone else in the household!  So after rummaging through my cupboards I decided date and almond seemed a nice option, and used up the bits and pieces I had that needed eating. Totally doing a good deed there! Ha!  They turned out pretty well I think, not overpowering on the brewers yeast, but sweet and tasty, and a good snack option for me.

Speaking of food, I've tried to ramp up the solids for Tristan.  He's still not much of a fan of solids.  Rice cereal isn't particularly tasty apparently, so it's getting mixed in with whatever I can manage at the time.  So far we've tried it with apple, and with banana but mostly with pumpkin, but not plain pumpkin. Someone seems to prefer it with a few herbs and spices added.  Next I'm sure he'll be demanding his own bucket of KFC!  In the last few days we've given him free time with a chunk of banana, a chunk of cooked apple, and also a big stick of steamed carrot.  I think he liked the sensation of it most.  Some of it was consumed but there was definitely a lot of mess.  One of the attempts with a rice cereal concoction, I gave up and handed him the spoon.  There was plenty of sucking the end of it, and flinging whatever food was left on it anywhere he could.  How could I forget first solids was such a messy time??


A portrait of my children, once a week, every week in 2016
Dylan is still all consumed by the excitement of his Paw Patrol socks this week.  I tried to balance out the excitement by the purchase of a new hat for Dylan.  A number of weeks back we were talking about his recently deceased Poppy.  He told me he wanted a hat like his Poppy's, a Bulldogs hat.  I wondered how he remembered his hat, as we never got around to taking Dylan to a football game where his Poppy's Bulldogs hat would have been worn.  Sure my Dad had Bulldogs hat's around his bar area at his house, but I don't think he ever really wore those ones.  We had a Bulldogs hat laying on top of the casket at his funeral, but I never told Dylan what the casket was or that his Poppy was inside it in case it upset him.  I guess he must have just recognised it as his Poppy's.  Anyway, I found Toddler-size caps online and ordered one for him.  I gave it to him all ready to wear for the Bulldogs first game of the Finals.  He was thrilled with the hat, but unfortunately it didn't bring us any luck in the game, going down to the Panthers.  I wish the season had ended differently; a Premiership would be bittersweet.

A portrait of my children, once a week, every week in 2016

Joining in with Jodi and Project 52.

Bel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

34/52

My little bouncer

25/52